Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Defensive End Earns Award For Second Time In Five-Year Career

DALLAS, Texas - Dallas Desperados DE Colston Weatherington was named the 2008 AFL Lineman of the Year as announced today by league officials, capturing the award that was voted on by coaches, players and fans following the conclusion of the 2008 regular season after leading the league with a career-high 10.5 sacks.

"That really makes me feel good, and I'm real excited to win the award," said Weatherington after hearing the news live on ESPN News's The Hotlist. "I'm blessed and I appreciate it, but all I do is do my job. As a personal goal, it's a great accomplishment, but I would rather melt that down so me and my guys could have some rings for the real ring and the real trophy: a championship. I appreciate the single accomplishments that I did achieve, but I'd rather have my teammates share it with me."

Weatherington led the AFL, and tied a Desperados franchise record (Tom Briggs), with 10.5 sacks in 2008 while starting in all 16 games during the regular season. He also finished second in the league in tackles for loss with 11.0, while also posting 24.0 tackles, eight quarterback hurries, five pass breakups, four forced fumbles and two fumble recoveries. Overall, he is Dallas's all-time sack leader (37.0), and is 11th all-time in the AFL, sixth among active players.

Weatherington, who also won the award in 2006, is one of only two Desperados players to win the award, joining Briggs (2003). In all, the Desperados have won seven individual league awards including: Ironman of the Year (2007 - Will Pettis), Lineman of the Year (2008 - Weatherington; 2006 - Weatherington; 2003 Briggs), Coach of the Year (2006 - Will McClay) and Executive of the Year (2006 - Shy Anderson; 2007 - Shy Anderson).



  • AHL names 2007-08 winners of excellence awards
  • Thunder’s Morgan af2 ADT Award Winner
  • Hart finalists Iginla, Ovechkin, Malkin also up for Pearson Award
  • Wilkes-Barre/Scranton defeat Wolves 68-50
  • Desperados WR/DB Earns Honor for the Second Consecutive Week
  • No comments: